- .010 to .625 Inches In Wire Diameter
- Round, 1/2 Round, Square, Rectangle & Specialty Wire
- Special Ring Shapes Including Hexagon & Oblong
Shaped Ring Manufacturing Specifications
While we have listed some of the most common sizes, materials and manufacturing specifications, Newcomb Spring provides completely customized production on all shaped ring parts.
- Large Volume Orders, Short Runs & Prototypes – formed, assembled and packaged to meet your requirements.
- Proprietary Camera Gauge for Superior Quality – photographs and verifies each part, automatically adjusting production without shutdown.
- Kando Tech Centers – in all 8 manufacturing facilities you can work with our team and equipment to optimize designs and lower costs.
- Engineering Support – our team can provide expert design assistance on any order, or view our online spring design resources.
Material Shapes & Specifications
- Hard Drawn, ASTM-A-227
- Oil Tempered, ASTM-A-229
- Chrome Vanadium, ASTM-A-231
- Chrome Silicon, ASTM-A-401
- Chrome Silicon – Valve Quality, ASTM-A-877
- 302 Stainless Steel, ASTM-A-313
- 304 Stainless Steel, ASTM-A-666
- 316 Stainless Steel, ASTM-A-313
- Stainless Strip – AISI 301, 302, 316
- 17-7 Stainless Steel, ASTM-A-313
- 17-7 Stainless Steel Strip, ASTM-A-693
Material Shapes & Specifications (Cont’d)
- Phosphor Bronze, ASTM-B-159
- Phosphor Bronze Strip, ASTM-B-103
- Beryllium Copper, ASTM-B-197
- Beryllium Copper, ASTM-B-194
- Monel® K, QQ-N-286
- Inconel® 600,QQ-W-390
- Inconel® 600 – Strip, AMS 5540, ASTM-B-168
- Inconel® X – 750, AMS 5698, 5699
- Inconel® X – 750, AMS 5542
- Medium Carbon, ASTM 682
- Low Carbon, ASTM-A-108
Shaped Ring Technical Info
Shaped rings, like springs, are used as energy-storing devices and can be found in all types of mechanical products. Newcomb Spring produces an array of rings in all sizes and shapes, which are used in a variety of applications. Most of the rings we produce are round in shape, though our custom process allows us to manufacture other shapes, including hexagon and oblong. Common ring types include snap rings and retaining rings.
Generally, rings, like retaining rings or snap rings, are considered to be external or internal. External rings are typically used to hold a collection of items together, and can be installed on a shaft. Internal rings typically are inserted into a bored area or housing, and exert pressure outward. When installed, the ring is elastically deformed and put into place, in order to snap back to its unstressed condition.
Many designs opt for rings, like retaining rings or snap rings – as opposed to pins or screws - as they offer greater tolerances and require less machining.
Materials for Shaped Rings
Most often, ring materials are selected by the environment that the part will be used in. However, different material types offer different load capacities which need to be considered to ensure the ring will operate without the risk of failure. Newcomb Spring’s design assistance team is ready to help you with the design of your shaped rings, snap rings and retaining rings, so please contact the location closest to you.
Newcomb Spring produces shaped rings to meet to meet the strictest customer tolerance requirements. While each part we produce is custom, most can be generally categorized by ring type and function:
- Internal Ring
- External Ring
- Expander Ring
- Retaining Ring
- Internal Retaining Ring
- External Retaining Ring
- Snap Ring / Metal Snap Ring
- Custom Snap Rings
- Internal Snap Ring
- External Snap Ring
- Rectangle Wire Snap Ring
- Connecting Ring
- Hose Clamp Ring
- Hydraulic Lock Ring
- Locating Ring
- Locking Ring
- Lock Release Ring
- Piston Ring
- Specialty Rings
- Spiral Ring
The following is a general guide for specifying shaped ring dimensions. Please contact Newcomb Spring if you require design assistance, or with any questions.